The mission of John C. Holmgreen Center is to provide a balanced learning environment in an enthusiastic atmosphere where every person can realize his or her potential as an individual and as a productive member of society.
John C. Holmgreen - Our Namesake
He was elected to the Board of Directors in 1958, became president in 1969, and Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer in 1977, a post he held until his retirement in 1987.
Mr. Holmgreen served on the Board of Directors of Texas Employers Insurance, Employers Casualty, American Industries Trust, Valero Energy Corp., McCall Industries and San Antonio Medical Foundation. In 1980, forty years after earning his first college diploma, John Holmgreen completed Trinity University's graduate degree program. He taught business courses at U.T. Austin, Trinity, UTSA, Texas A&M and Scheiner College in Kerrville.
In 1982, John Holmgreen led the San Antonio Medical Foundation's outreach to the education community, which culminated in the donation of the land in the Medical Center to Northside ISD, and seed money for creation of a health magnet school. On the site, NISD now operates Northside Health Careers High School, Northside Children's Center, Northside Opportunity Center, Nelli Reddix Center, and The John C. Holmgreen Center, formerly known as John C. Holmgreen Jr./Sr. High School.
Mr. Holmgreen passed away on March 9, 2003. He will be missed, but we are proud to have known Mr. Holmgreen as a great supporter of our school.