Don't get summer brain drain! Ideas for Summer Learning
Self-Help & Independence:
- Practice tying shoes
- Learn your home phone number
- Learn your student ID number for school
- Practice counting on from any given number to 100
- Practice counting backwards from 20
- Practice Addition and Subtraction
- Work in math workbook sent home by teacher
- Write a letter to a friend or relative
- Write a Summer Vacation story
- Create a summer scrapbook, write a sentence for each page
- Rewrite the ending of a story
- Use sight words to write sentences (see list sent by teacher)
- Read to your child & discuss the story.
- Check out books your child can help read at the public library.
- Fill out reading logs for books you read from HEB, Barnes & Noble and the SA Public library to receive reading rewards.
- Record reading on May Elementary reading log to show next year’s teacher how great you are!
- Practice sight words (see list sent by teacher)
- Work in Journeys workbooks sent home by teacher
- Observe the night sky over time. Draw & write about your observations of the moon’s changes.
- Observe a yard or garden habitat. Look for insects, animals, plants & their basic needs.
- Write & draw about your observations.
- Create insects or animals out of items from your recycling bin.
Smart Phone Apps:
- Teach Me Kindergarten & Teach Me 1st grade for the Iphone
- Math Facts for the Iphone
- Spelling City
- Math Cards – Eng & Sp
- Activity Books for children going from Kindergarten to 1st grade are available at Barnes & Noble for $6.00-$16.00.
- Check the following for activities for parents & kids to play and learn together:
- KLRN “Play & Learn” groups – Call 210-270-9000 for times & locations
- Home Depot – Free Parent/Kids’ Workshops – first Saturday of every month
- Lowe’s – Parent/Kid building workshop every Saturday at 10:00am
- San Antonio Public Library – Story Hours & Presentations –
call your local library for details
Here are some great activites for you to do during the summer!