Can We Go?
A Webquest about Budgeting a Vacation
by Pam and Kim Albrecht, CITs based on an idea by Cristela Valdez, 3rd grade teacher
Rhodes Elementary and Northwest Crossing Elementary, Northside ISD
Your family has saved for 2 years. . Birthday money, Christmas money, extra job money, ....every penny has gone into the Travel fund. At your last family meal, it was determined that you would be in charge of deciding if this was the year you got to travel to your dream spot- Disneyland. You were given the family budget spreadsheet where you saw your travel budget. You had to decide...... Can we go?
To answer that question, you must determine the estimated cost of your entire trip. Each of the steps below will help you calculate the cost of that particular requirement of the trip. When each step is finished, you will enter that step total on the Travel Spreadsheet. Finally, you will compare the total cost on your family budget spreadsheet with your own Travel spreadsheet. Can you go?
To present your findings to your family you need to present your Travel spreadsheet with a pie chart embedded showing the percentage of your budget for each of the following areas. You will also practice for that presentation by answering anticipated questions and developing a written summation of your decision to present to your family. Ultimately it is you who will decide, "can you go?"
|Step 1: Determine the cost of tickets at the attraction.||
Go to http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/reserve/
1. Find the price for children age 3-9. Put that in the appropriate box. Find the price for Adults over 9. Fill in the appropriate box.
|Step 2 : Determine the transportation cost of travel .||
To find the cost of travel the first step is to determine how many miles you will be traveling. You are now working in the Transportation Cost area (#2.)
1. Double click on the Google Earth icon to open it. You can use the scrolling wheel on the mouse to zoom in and out on the map.
|Step 3: Determine the cost of hotels for the entire trip.||
We will estimate the cost of rooms by going to the La Quinta site and using their price as a basis for our hotel costs. On the left side of the site it has the date has defaulted to a 1 night rate with today's date for 1 person. Change that to 1 night for 4 persons. It will automatically change the amount. You will now be working in the Hotel Cost Section (#3.)
1. Find the cost of a room with double beds. Open your Cost Worksheet and click in the cell under "Cost of room."
2. Multiply that amount times the number of nights on the trip- 11. Put that answer under "Subtotal."
3.Determine the number of rooms you will need by using the chart on the right of the page.
4. Multipy the Subtotal by the number of rooms you will be needing. Record that under the "Total Hotel Cost."
|Step 4: Determine the cost for meals for the trip.||
We will be estimating the cost of our meals by looking at menus from 3 restaurants- 1 for breakfast, one for lunch and one for dinner. You will choose a median priced meal for each, add those three together and use that total to estimate your meal cost for the whole trip.
1. Open the Hamburger Hut Menu (yes, they have a great breakfust menu.). Choose a median priced breakfast. Enter it's cost in the cell beside breakfast. Find a drink (if it is not included in a meal deal.) Place that amount in under "Cost of drink."
2. Open the McCallister's Deli Menu. Choose a median priced lunch. Enter it's cost in the cell next to "Lunch.". Find a drink (if it is not included in a meal deal.) Place that amount in the cell under "cost of drink" in the same row as "Lunch."
3. Open the Zio's Italian Kitchen Menu. Choose a median priced dinner. Please note that we will be eating dinner here, NOT lunch. You may not order a lunch special at dinner. If you do not like regular Italian food, try the pizza on page 4. Enter it's cost in the cell to the right of "Dinner." . Find a drink (if it is not included in a meal deal.) Place that amount in cell under "Cost of Drink" but on the row with "Dinner."
4. Add the meal amounts to find a total "Cost of meals." Add the drink amounts to find a total "Cost of Drinks."
5. Add those two amounts to find the One Day meal cost. Put it under "One Day." Put the number of people in your family in the cell under the " # family." Mutiply the one day cost times the number in your family. Put that amount in the cell under "Total per day." Multiply that amount by 11 (number of days on the trip.) The answer will be your "Total meal cost for the trip." Place the answer in the appropriate cell.
Determine the final cost of the trip. Open your Travel Spreadsheet.
1. Put in the Total Ticket Cost in cell B2.
2. Put the Total Cost of gasoline in cell B3.
3. Put the Total Hotel Cost in cell B4.
4. Put the Total Meal Cost for the Trip in cell B5.
5. Add the amounts in cell B2, B3, B4 and B5 to determine the total cost of your trip to Disneyland.
Prepare to Justify your decision with your parents.
To prepare yourself for the questions you might be asked by your parents, make a graph to make answering easy.
To make a pie graph showing percentages:
1. On the Travel Budget spreadsheet, highlight cells A1 through B5. (Do not include the final total in the highlight.) Click on the Chart Wizard Icon on the toolbar. Click Pie Graph and choose the Exploded Pie variation. Click Next.
2. Make sure in step 2 of the wizard that your series are in a column. (The radio button should be colored in next to "Columns.") Click Next.
3. On Step 3 of the wizard, title your chart Cost of Traveling to Disneyland for Vacation on the Titles tab. Click on the legend tab and choose where you want your legend. Then click on the Data Labels tab and click next to percentage so that your chart will show the percentages of each of the areas of the budget.
Prepare for your parent's questions by answering the following questions using the chart you have created.
|Can You Go?||
By comparing your Family's Budget with your Travel Budget determine if your family can go to Disneyland. Use your charts and graphs to back up your decision. Write a short or of your decision to help you in your family presentation. Can you pack your bags??
|Resources for this project:||
Be sure to credit these sources by copying the following information into the Credits tab on your spreadsheet:
1. Lady Anne. Background Image. 27 April 2008 < www.packrat-pro.com>
1. Disneyland Image. "Disneyland Address." 12 April 2008 < www.visitingdc.com/city/disneyland-address.asp >
2. "Disney Tickets and Reservations." 12 April 2008 < http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/
3. "New Reservation Page- La Quinta Hotels." 27 April 2008 <New Reservations>
4. Hamburger Hut Menu. 27 April 2008. Hamburger Hut.
5. McCallister's Deli Menu. 27 April 2008. McCallister's Deli.
6. Zio's Italian Kitchen Menu. 27 April 2008. Zio's Italian Kitchen.