The Northside Independent School District and our community will provide innovative, high-quality, diverse learning experiences for all students in an ever-changing world.
Philosophy of Gifted/Enrichment Program
Northside Independent School District provides instructional opportunities and various services designed to meet the unique needs of students with significantly advanced general intellectual ability and/or specific subject matter aptitude in language arts, science, social studies and/or mathematics. These programs provide an appropriately differentiated curriculum in an effort to help students work to their fullest potential. GT program services may include a modified delivery of instruction for students by accelerating and/or providing for greater depth, more complex content, and enrichment activities. Specific GT program services are available in kindergarten-12th grades. GT program teachers serving identified GT students have met the state requirements necessary for the teaching assignment.
(ALPHA Advanced Learning Program for High Achievers) is the name of the gifted/talented program in the Northside Independent School District. It is based upon the work of Dr. Joseph Renzulli's concept of "giftedness," which addresses the student's intellectual ability, creativity, and task commitment. Northside Independent School District (Northside ISD) recognizes that all students are entitled to a program of educational experiences which provide opportunities to maximize the development of their capabilities.
Gifted/Enrichment Program Goals
- To provide an enrichment program to stimulate the talents of gifted students;
- To guide students to develop a healthy self-concept and to acquire complex skills for collaborative conflict resolution and teamwork.
- To implement the principles of divergent thinking and foster the higher order thinking skills of analysis, synthesis and evaluation;
- To promote creative problem solving for real world issues;
- To provide opportunities for self-directed learning and assessment;
- To arrange experiences which promote the ongoing development of task commitment;
- To encourage an attitude of responsibility and service to others;
- To promote a global perspective and a respect for cultural differences and similarities;
- To provide an atmosphere in which students can interact with their intellectual peers and with outstanding adults;
- To assist students in making career choices which help them in becoming productive, well-rounded citizens; to think not only of what is, but also of what might be.
Is my child gifted?
|A high achiever...||A gifted learner...||A creative thinker...|
|Remembers the answers||Poses unforeseen questions||Sees exceptions|
|Is interested||Is curious||Wonders|
|Is attentive||Is selectively mentally engaged||Daydreams, may seem off task|
|Generated advanced ideas||Generates complex, abstract ideas||Overflows with idea, many of which will never be developed|
|Works hard to achieve||Knows without working hard||Plays with ideas and concepts|
|Answers the questions in detail||Ponders with depth and multiple perspectives||Injects new possibilities|
|Performs at the top of the group||Is beyond the group||Is in own group|
|Responds with interest and opinions||Exhibits feelings and opinions from multiple perspectives||Shares bizarre, sometimes conflicting opinions|
|Learns with ease||Already knows||Questions: What if...|
|Needs 6 to 8 repetitions to master||Needs 1 to 3 repetitions to master||Questions the need for mastery|
|Comprehends at a high level||Comprehends in-depth, complex ideas||Overflows with ideas-- many of which will never be developed|
|Enjoys the company of age peers||Prefers the company of intellectual peers||Prefers the company of creative peers but often works alone|
|Understands complex, abstract humor||Creates complex, abstract humor||Relishes wild, off-the-wall humor|
|Grasps the meaning||Infers and connects concepts||Makes mental leaps|
|Completes assignments on time||Initiates projects and extensions of assignments||Initiates more projects that will never be completed|
|Is receptive||Is intense||Is independent and unconventional|
|Is accurate and complete||Is original and continually developing||Is original and continually developing|
|Enjoys school often||Enjoys self-directed learning||Enjoys creating|
|Absorbs information||Manipulates information||Improvises|
|Is a technician with expertise in a field||Is an expert who abstracts beyond the field||Is an inventor and idea generator|
|Memorizes well||Guesses and infers well||Created and brainstorms well|
|Is highly alert and observant||Anticipated and related observations||Is intuitive|
|Is pleased with own learning||Is self-critical||Is never finished with possibilities|
|Gets A's||May not be motivated by grades||Many not be motivated by grades|
|Is able||Is intellectual||Is idiosyncratic|