NISD OFFERS FLU REMINDERS FOR FAMILIES
January 28, 2020
The flu season is upon us. Northside ISD is seeing a small increase in illness outbreaks at some schools, although not all cases are the flu but also are seasonal allergies and colds. NISD has almost 107,000 students in 120 schools.
Precautions can be taken to prevent the spread of illnesses. The Centers for Disease Control encourages making healthy choices at school and at home, which can help prevent the flu and spreading flu and other illnesses to others.
- Get the flu shot. Even in January, there are still a few months left in the flu season, so it's still a good idea to get protected.
- Stay home when you are sick. Stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. Parents are strongly urged to keep sick children home until they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication. This will help prevent others from catching the illness.
- Teach your family to cough/sneeze in their sleeve, not in their hand. The second best option is to cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue away after use, and wash your hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
Thank you for partnering with Northside ISD to keep the spread of illness to a minimum this flu season!