Dual language immersion (DLI)
The dual language immersion two-way bilingual program model in Northside is research-based. The dual language model seeks to create bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural students by developing their academic proficiency in English and Spanish. This program serves K-8 English learners and Non-English learners at 20 elementary schools and two middle schools. ELs who are reclassified may continue participating in the dual language program. TAC 89.1210 (d)(3).
Classroom Structures / Models
For the 2020-2021 school year, we will begin the Dual Language program in Kindergarten and 1st grade and add a grade level each ensuing year. Grades 6th – 8th, DLI programs are available at selected middle schools (Stinson & Sul Ross Middle Schools).
Dual Language classroom composition whenever possible:
50% English learners (EL); 50% native English speakers (Non-EL)
Dual language grade levels
Kinder & 1st
Adams Hill, Fisher, Michael & Valley Hi
Expectations for Parents
- Support your children’s linguistic, academic, and sociocultural development
- Commit to completing the elementary program
- Participate in a minimum of three meetings per year regarding the DLI program or academic achievement
- Promote, advocate, and support the DLI program.
- Commit to participation in the program for a minimum of 5-6 years
- Encourage use of the second language at home and in the community
Expectations for Students
- Participate in the DLI program in the elementary grades
- Participate in dual language activities during and after school, as available
- Use the second language at home and in the community
- Value multiculturalism
- Maintain high levels of learning, conduct, and attendance