JROTC standing in attention outside the campus.

Dual Credit

What is Dual Credit?

Dual credit classes are classes that you take in high school that also give you college credits in the state of Texas at the same time. This is a great opportunity for you because the dual credit program is completely free of charge! You could graduate from high school with up to 30 hours of college credit before even stepping onto a college campus! (That's one entire year already completed)!


How Do I Get Into Dual Credit?

In order to be eligible for Dual Credit courses, students must go through the application process, meeting ALL deadlines and requirements. It begins in November each school year. So, to take Dual classes in their Junior year, a student must begin the application process during their Sophomore year. The application opens up by November annually with the Apply Texas Application deadline being in February. (Apply Texas is the first step in the process). Please know that it is a lengthy process with multiple due dates. Northwest Vista College offers no exceptions for students that do not meet all deadlines. Luckily, if you follow the instructions below, you should be able to navigate the entire process easily; just make sure you do not wait until the last minute! Each deadline builds upon the previous deadline which is why missing any step ends your chance at taking Dual Credit courses for the next year.


Questions about Dual Credit? Contact carrie.villarreal@nisd.net

How is Dual Credit different from AP?

  • In Dual Credit Classes, college credit is earned upon completion of the class with a grade of "C" or higher (no additional test)
  • In an Advance Placement (AP) class, college credit is not earned until a student takes and achieves a certain score on an AP test.
  • AP Credit is not automatically transmitted on the college transcript: students must follow through with the admission procedure to have the credit posted on the college transcript.
  • An AP course grade does not appear on a student's permanent college transcript.
  • Dual Credit courses generally transfer to most Texas Public Universities (always check with the school, you want to attend about transfer credits)
  • AP Scores are accepted at most colleges and universities across the Nation (qualifying scores may differ)


How does Dual Credit work?

  • Students earn two sets of grades:
    • one for the college which will be calculated into the overall college GPA and automatically transmitted on the college transcript
    • one for the high school which will be calculated into the high school GPA and transmitted on the high school transcript
  • DC courses are designed off a college curriculum and taught by high school teachers approved and hired as adjunct college instructors.
  • If the student does not qualify for DC, they can still be enrolled in the course but can only earn AP credit

What are the advantages of Dual Credit?

  1. It saves money! Students can earn up to fourteen courses of college credit at no cost. It reduces the cost of tuition and textbooks resulting in thousands of dollars in savings.
  2. It gets many prerequisites out of the way.
  3. Students take on the responsibilities of being a college student, potentially easing the transition from high school to college.


Who should take Dual Credit?

  • The Dual Credit Program is designed for high school juniors and seniors (and some sophomores) seeking to get a jump on their college careers.
  • Students who have test scores that indicate they are ready to enter the program and who feel comfortable doing college level work should consider Dual Credit.
  • Students are allowed to take up to 15 college hours per semester of Dual courses.
  • Students can take up to 14 total courses in High School for Dual Credit! (Some classes count as two courses though; for example, English Three AP Dual at Harlan is ENGL 1301 and 1302 at NVC.


I already applied for Dual Credit? Do I have to reapply?

If you are currently enrolled in Dual Credit courses, you do not need to reapply. You must reapply if you previously applied but did not register/attend. You must reapply if you applied and attended but stopped coming for 12 months. So, unless you have taken Dual Credit courses continuously, you probably need to reapply. (Example: If you took Spanish Dual as a freshman but nothing as a sophomore, you WILL need to reapply for your Junior year).  If you are not sure, check with Mrs. Villarreal in B100.


How many Dual Credit classes can I take?

You are allowed to take a total of 14 Dual Credit Classes. (Note, most Dual classes at Harlan count as two NVC Dual Classes. For example, English Three AP/Dual is ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302). Click here for the list of college credits received. You cannot take more than 15 hours in any given semester. (Note, you should only take the extra Dual courses if you were planning to take the AP equivalent already. These are advanced classes; do not take more just because you can)!


Harlan HS Dual Credit Course Offerings

Harlan HS Dual Credit Course Offerings

Helpful Resources

Here you can get your TSI Scores and learn to navigate your ACES Account. You can also see the classes you have taken for Dual through NVC.

This shows what you must score on the TSI to qualify for each Dual Credit class we offer.

If you are wondering how many Dual Credit hours you have earned or what college courses for which you’ve received credit.

To use with the application if necessary.

This is the form you have to print, fill out, and submit if you have been notified that there is an issue with your residency status.

Email it to carrie.villarreal@nisd.net and nvc-records@alamo.edu once completed.

If you have been coded incorrectly, these are the acceptable ways to prove your Texas residency.

 If you need to make biographical changes to correct mistakes on your application or for name changes, you will use this form.

These are the only acceptable ways to be exempt from taking the TSI. All proof must be submitted to Mrs. Villarreal and official copies sent to NVC prior to the TSI test date.

Explains the TSI test and has links to several resources including a study App.

You can request your Northwest Vista College transcript via ACES by following the steps below:

  1. Login to ACES
  2. Click on the "Student" tab
  3. Click on "Web Services" link
  4. Click on "Student"
  5. Click on "Student Records"
  6. Click on "Order Official Transcript"
  7. Complete the Transcript Ordering Services form in the pop-up window

For more information visit Alamo Colleges High School Programs website.

This is the guide to help you with the modules and DCSO. You can also download the Canvas App to complete NVC requirements and modules. Apple - Canva Android-Canva

Keep in mind that you can only take a total of 14 Dual Credit Courses in High School. (Notice that many classes count as two Dual Credit Courses like English 3 AP Dual Credit which is ENGL 1301 and 1302, so that would count as two courses). Also, you cannot take more than 15 hours in a given semester. Click here to see how many hours each class is.

This checklist will guide you through applying for and enrolling in dual credit at Harlan High School.

This guide will help you access your NVC ACES account and complete the AlamoENROLL modules necessary before taking the TSI test.

Cafeteria Info & Menus
Health & Vaccination Forms
Buses & Boundaries
District Programs