Northside ISD is committed to providing the Class of 2020 and their families a way to recognize the important milestone of graduation and not just through virtual means. While we had hoped for a traditional graduation event, we recognize our obligation to ensure the health and safety of our students, families, and staff. Regretfully, NISD will not be conducting in-person graduation ceremonies at the Alamodome in late July. However, we do have plans for each of our high schools to safely commemorate our seniors and their graduation.
In addition to a professionally produced virtual graduation ceremony video due out in early July, each NISD high school will host a safe, contactless graduation recognition the week of June 15. We recognize that the act of physically crossing the stage is important to many of you, and these campus-facilitated recognitions will provide an opportunity to capture this milestone with traditional photos while ensuring the health and safety of graduates and families.
Each campus event will be highlighted by the following:
- Graduates and their guests will have the opportunity to hear their name and scholarship announced, walk across the auditorium stage, receive their diploma, and rotate through three photo stations on their high school campus. Professional photographers will be on hand to capture these treasured memories for families.
- Each graduate will be allowed four guests in attendance.
- Graduates will attend in caps and gowns or wear “awards ceremony”/Sunday best attire. For the Class of 2020, the District is allowing graduates to wear cords and stoles from outside organizations for personal achievements. Graduates may wear these for their virtual picture and in-person recognition. However, graduates are not permitted to decorate their caps.
- Social distancing guidelines and the wearing of masks will be in place for all participants, including graduates and school personnel, although seniors will be allowed to remove their mask for photo opportunities.
- All attendees will be pre-screened by an NISD Health Services professional. The screening will include a brief health questionnaire and a temperature check.
- Graduates were asked to opt-in if they chose to participate in this campus event by completing an online Google form. This Google link was also available on each high school campus website.
- Based on the number of students opting-in for this event, campuses will schedule time slots over the course of several days beginning June 15. Once individual campuses have finalized all logistics, they will communicate to families each graduate’s assigned date and time.
It is our intention to provide each Northside graduate and their family an opportunity to commemorate this special event in a manner that adheres to all TEA and public health guidelines while also providing the opportunity to capture life-long memories.