Frequently Asked Questions
- I just received my laptop. What do I do next?
- Go to the NISD Laptop Zone, at www.nisd.net/technology/training/laptop.
There you'll find a link to the NISD training guide entitled "Laptop Basics."
- Who's offering laptop training?
- Your CIT is the campus resource for laptop training. Online training is available
- How do I secure my laptop when I leave my classroom?
- Use the cable and lock provided with your laptop, or lock the laptop out of
sight in a secure place.
- Can I install personal software on my laptop?
- The rules that apply to Northside desktop machines also apply to laptops. No personal software may be installed.
- Can I connect to the Internet via my home wireless
Yes. See the training guide: "Connecting to Wireless Networks."
- Am I able to connect to the Internet with my
laptop in Wi-Fi hotspots?
Yes. See the training guide: "Connecting to Wireless Networks." You may also receive further login instructions at the
- Can I store student data on my laptop?
Storing student data on your laptop is a bad idea because laptops are
more vulnerable to loss or theft than other computers. You are responsible
for the security of any student data that you place on your laptop, and it
is up to you to comply with NISD Adminstrative Regulations
TEC-10) and Federal regulations such as CIPA, HIPPA and FERPA.
- What do I do if my laptop is stolen or lost?
- Follow the procedures outlined in the document "What do I do if the laptop is stolen or lost?"
- What do I do if my laptop is damaged?
- Follow the procedures outlined in the document "What do I do if I damage the laptop?"