In Northside ISD, Spanish language courses are designed to achieve the following objectives as aligned with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Languages Other Than English (TEKS for LOTE):
- To satisfy the needs of students who wish to pursue specific work to increase their ability to listen, speak, read, and write the Spanish language.
- To provide students the opportunity to compare and contrast their language and culture with those of Spanish-speaking countries and other parts of the world.
- To provide students with the opportunity to relate the topics to other subject areas, making Spanish relevant to the students’ overall academic experience.
- To encourage students to seek opportunities to practice Spanish outside of the classroom by interacting with family members and members of the community.
- To encourage students to understand that they are members of a global society and help them develop “survival” skills in the language in order to function effectively in social interactions and discussions.
- To provide students with the opportunity to utilize technology incorporating the usage of multi-media labs.