¡Bienvenidos a la clase de español! We would like to welcome you to the Spanish Department!
Spanish is a language that is used in our community. It is important for students to learn a language that will be beneficial to them in their future no matter what profession they decide to pursue.
The Spanish class at Vale is a high school credit course that will allow your child to complete a course at the middle school level so that they have an opportunity to enjoy other upper-level courses offered in high school. As a foreign language is needed to graduate, your child will also have the opportunity at this time to decide if they wish to include AP Spanish level courses into their schedule during their high school years.
Spanish not only offers instruction on the use of grammar; it also provides a wealth of information about cultural and community topics in Spanish-speaking countries. Learning about Central America, South America, Caribbean Islands, and European countries will support the idea of travel in the future. It is an amazing opportunity to be able to see other parts of the world!
In Northside ISD, Spanish language courses are designed to achieve the following objectives as aligned with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Languages Other Than English (TEKS for LOTE):
- To satisfy the needs of students who wish to pursue specific work to increase their ability to listen, speak, read, and write the Spanish language.
- To provide students the opportunity to compare and contrast their language and culture with those of Spanish-speaking countries and other parts of the world.
- To provide students with the opportunity to relate the topics to other subject areas, making Spanish relevant to the students’ overall academic experience.
- To encourage students to seek opportunities to practice Spanish outside of the classroom by interacting with family members and members of the community.
- To encourage students to understand that they are members of a global society and help them develop “survival” skills in the language in order to function effectively in social interactions and discussions.
- To provide students with the opportunity to utilize technology incorporating the usage of multi-media labs.