Advanced Placement is a program by which you can take college level courses in high school and earn both high school and college credits. By taking an AP course and scoring successfully on the related AP Exam (either a 3, 4 or 5), you can save on college expenses: most colleges and universities nationwide offer college credit, advanced placement, or both, for qualifying AP Exam scores. These credits can allow students to save college tuition, study abroad, or secure a second major. AP can transform what once seemed unattainable into something within reach. https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/home
NISD offers more than 30 AP courses at all of the high schools, as well as a sprinkling in our middle schools. NISD believes that every student should have the opportunity to take challenging, advanced-level courses in high school to prepare for college and career readiness. AP gives students the chance to tackle college-level work while they are still in high school and potentially earn college credit. You’ll see the benefits of taking an AP class right away. In AP classes, just like in college, you’ll face new challenges and learn new skills in the subjects you care about. All with the support of your classmates and teachers.
- Get more. With AP, you get to dig deeper into subjects you love. Your school can choose from more than 30 AP courses in subjects that directly reflect your interests.
- Get hands-on. In AP's immersive courses, you get to learn how things really work. Tackle concepts that will stick with you long after the class is through.
- Get involved. In AP classes, learning means sharing your ideas and expressing yourself. Add your unique perspective—the dialog and debate contributes to the knowledge that everyone shares.
- Get support. With AP, you get to explore new ideas with your classmates and AP teachers. See and feel what college work is actually like, while receiving the support to help you get there.
- Get to know yourself. In AP classes, you can set bigger goals for yourself and do things you never thought possible. AP students can really test and push themselves in a familiar setting while gaining confidence, developing good study habits, and enjoying a great learning experience.
AP Courses offered in Northside Schools: (course offerings may vary by campus)
English Language Arts *English Lang. & Comp. *English Lit. & Comp. Science *Biology *Chemistry *Environmental Science *Physics 1 *Physics 2 *Physics C: Elec & Mag *Physics C: Mechanics
*U.S. Government and Politics
*United States History
Mathematics *Calculus AB *Calculus BC *Statistics *Computer Science A *Computer Science Principles World Languages *French Language & Culture *Latin Language & Culture *Spanish Language & Culture *German Language & Culture *Spanish Literature & Culture
*Art (Drawing, 2-D, 3-D)
Students may earn college credit through the College Board AP Exams which are offered in May of each year. There is a fee for each AP exam. Northside ISD pays a supplement for each AP test taken by students who are currently enrolled in the AP courses. If a student is not enrolled in the course, they may still challenge the AP Exam but will pay full price for each exam they wish to challenge.