Since the establishment of the Community Education Department in 1984, Northside Independent School District has fostered the concept of lifelong learning for all members of our society. Dedicated to the idea that the school is the center of the community, our doors remain open during “non-traditional” hours to offer educational opportunities that will enrich the lives of people both personally and professionally.
A Class Catalog is produced each Fall, Spring and Summer featuring hundreds of exciting classes for both adults and children in four major categories:
- Profit and IT includes Computers and Technology, Business Solutions, Money Management and Certificate Programs.
- The Arts features Dance, Music, Languages, Fine Arts and others.
- Mind & Body is for Personal Growth, Professional Continuing Education, Study Skills and Body-Mind-Health related information.
- Fun & Play classes are family oriented classes in areas such as Home and Garden, Sewing and Needlecraft, Culinary Arts, Animal Kingdom, Crafts, Travel-Tours and Sports and Fitness.
Classes are taught on Northside ISD school campuses and at various sites in the community. They are conducted for the benefit and enjoyment of our patrons and are offered for non-credit unless otherwise designated. Continuing Education Units (CEUs), Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCs) and Certification Programs are arranged for specific occupations. These include counseling, social work, daycare, computer and office fields. Ours is a tuition-based, self-supporting program. More than 10,000 students enroll in 500+ classes offered each semester. Financial support for the program comes from class fees.
Youth Waiver & Parent Handbook
All youth camps and classes require completion of a Youth Waiver/Information Form to participate in programs. The form must be signed and submitted to registration office prior to class attendance. You may obtain a copy of the Youth Waiver/Information Form by visiting our office or downloading below. Before participating in youth programs, parents and guardians should review the Parent Handbook.
To charge by phone: Acknowledge that you have read and understand the refund policy on the registration form. Have your credit card information ready. We accept Visa and Mastercard.
Northside Learning Center (NLC) 6632 Bandera Rd. (corner of Bandera and Grissom Rd.) San Antonio, TX 78238. Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 5:00PM
- Download the Registration Form (Print, complete and mail in-to office address on the form)
Complete one form per person. Make checks payable to NISD. Do not send supply fee listed that is payable to the instructor on the first day of class. Enrollment is complete upon receipt of registration form and payment. If a receipt or confirmation is requested, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. You will be notified only if there is additional information needed.
Fax Number: 210-706-8963 Credit Card: Visa or MasterCard. Include card expiration date and signature is required on the registration form.
Companies/Organizations enrolling staff for training may complete registration forms and attach company information or purchase orders.
Refunds will be given if requested at least two working days before the day of the first class meeting. After that time, no refunds can be given.
TOUR PROGRAMS: Local tours must be cancelled at least 5 business days before the event. After that time, no refunds can be given.
NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED IF YOU FAIL TO ATTEND CLASS.
Refunds for payments made by credit card will be processed to same card used and will take 24 to 48 hours for processing. Refunds for cash and check payments will be made by check and will take 4 to 6 weeks for processing.
All class cancelations or changes initiated by the student are subject to a processing fee of $6 per course. A $25 service fee will be charged for NSF checks.
For most classes, it's never too late to register as long as there is room in a class. Registration for some Food and Wine classes may close two business days before class time to allow instructors to purchase enough supplies for class. If in doubt, call us!
Teach a Class
Interested in teaching for Northside Community Education?
Thank you for your interest in teaching for the NISD Community Education Department. Our mission is to foster and promote life long learning for all community members. We are constantly working to develop new and relevant courses to offer. Course proposals are accepted on an ongoing basis. We’d love to help you share your knowledge with the community!
If you have an idea for a class, please submit detailed proposal information for review. You will be notified that your proposal has been successfully received and will be placed on file with NISD Community Education. If your course is accepted, a Program Coordinator will contact you to organize the details of the course and gather any additional information. Submission does not guarantee placement within the class schedule.
To be considered for a program, please email CEproposals@nisd.net with the following information:
NISD Proposal Questionnaire
Note: Submissions for proposals are accepted on an ongoing basis. We plan four to five months in advance for our semesters, and work to select seasonally-appropriate classes.
- Full Name:
- Business Name: (if applicable)
- Mailing Address:
- Phone Number(s):
- Email Address:
- Professional Qualifications:
Instructor biography, related experience and attach a resume
- Course Title:
- Course Description:
Enter your description as you would like it to appear in the catalog. Descriptions should not exceed 60 words. Include goals, topics, possible projects, and class format. Please consider your submission carefully, it will be compared against other submissions. Write in "you" tense. NISD reserves the right to edit.
- Age Group:
(For youth programs, please list exact age)
- Course Tuition:
- Supply Fee:
- Class size:
(preferred maximum and minimum number of students)
- Preferred Days and/or Dates Offered:
- Pre-recorded or Live:
- Preferred Class Time:
- Class location at NISD or Contract Instructor Site?
All workshops, classes, and other programs are advertised in NISD's print catalog, newsletters, all electronic communications, posted on the NISD Community Education website and shared on social media pages (Facebook, Instagram, etc.). Announcements are distributed to local and regional print and electronic media.
The success of class/workshop registration partly depends on the instructor's own promotional efforts. All instructors are expected to actively market their own class(es). Instructors are encouraged to use personal contacts, distribute class brochures, flyers, etc.
Northside Independent School District offers classes to the public for the purpose of information, instruction, enlightenment, and example ONLY. Such classes are NOT to be construed as endorsement or investment recommendations from the individual instructor, his/her company, or the Northside School District.
Submission does not guarantee placement within the class schedule.
After School Enrichment for 2023-2024 School Year:
NISD is currently accepting proposals from new After School Enrichment Providers. All proposals are due by August 11th at 12 p.m. Proposals can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org You will be contacted during the week of August 14th for any other information that is needed. Please be patient in this process.
Frequently asked questions
Adult Classes: In order to take an Adult Class students must be at least 16 years of age. Students under 16 will be permitted to register only with prior consent of the Instructor and Coordinator and may require an adult to register with the student. You do not have to be a resident of Northside School District to take our classes. Children may not accompany adults to class; child care is not provided. Children’s Classes: We ask that you adhere to the age requirements listed in the course description. Appropriate behavior is expected. At the discretion of the instructor, a child whose behavior is disruptive may be dropped from the class without a refund.
If space is available, registrations are taken until the first day of the class. Early registrations are encouraged to avoid class cancelations due to low enrollment.
- Search and register for Community Education courses by clicking the “sign in” link in the menu options.
- Simply browse the “courses” link and add your choices to your shopping cart.
- Have your Visa or Mastercard information ready.
- If you have any questions, please e-mail us.
- Please call us at (210) 397-8100 during district business hours. You will need your Visa or Mastercard information for payment. Outside of business hours you may leave a message and we will return your call.
By Fax: (210) 706-8963
- In the event that you do not have a registration form, please fax us the course title, date, time, and location along with your credit card information. Please include an e-mail address for class confirmation.
- Enclose your registration information. Send your check, money order or credit card information to: NISD Community Education 6632 Bandera Road - Building C San Antonio, TX 78238
- Our office is located approximately 1 mile outside Loop 410 at the corner of Grissom and Bandera Road. Northside Learning Center Adult & Community Education 6632 Bandera Road - Building C San Antonio, TX 78238 View Map
The Community Education office is open Monday-Friday, 8am-5:00pm and follows the Northside ISD central office calendar.
If you do not have an email address, please call our office at (210) 397-8100 and an Information Specialist will assist you.
If the class that you are registering for is full, you will be placed on a "Waiting List." If an opening occurs or an additional class is opened, you will be notified and given an opportunity to register for the class. Waiting lists are maintained only for the current semester.
You may register for online classes via the online registration system on our website.
Please read the following information carefully before completing your registration.
- Transfers/Credits/Refunds: If Community Education cancels a class you will receive a full refund, or you may request a credit which will be applied toward the cost of any future course. The credit voucher is valid for up to ONE calendar year from the date issued. Once a class has begun, tuition will not be refunded. If you must cancel a class, or transfer to another, you must call two (2) working days before the class begins. Local tours must be cancelled at least 5 working days before the event. A $6 processing fee will be charged for transfers or cancellations initiated by the student.
Yes. If you have provided an e-mail address you will receive an e-mail confirmation and a reminder prior to the start of the class.
Classes meet in various campuses and private businesses throughout Northside School District. Specific directions are e-mailed with your course confirmation.
Community Education is committed to making its classes accessible to all members of the community. Please call our registration office at (210) 397-8100 to arrange accessibility.
Northside campuses are smoke-free facilities. Use of tobacco and smoking are prohibited on all Northside ISD property including parking lots and outside areas.
We can help your organization with your training needs at your location or ours by custom designing courses in the areas of: Information Technology, Foreign Language, Business/Management, Leadership/Supervisory Programs and Specialized curriculums. Please call our office at 210-397-8100 for information on Custom Training.
NISD employees are eligible for a 15% discount on class registrations. Discounts provided by registering in person or over the phone. You will be asked to provide your e-number and campus.
Please note: only one discount may be applied per person. Discounts may only be applied to classes registered through Northside Community Education. Youth Summer Camps and After School Enrichment programs are excluded from discounts.
Like us on Facebook to be informed of special offers and discounts!
Gold card holders are entitled to a 15% discount on their class registrations. The Northside Gold card is available for the following:
- Senior citizens with the over-65 homestead tax exemption who live in NISD
- NISD residents with disability exemptions
- Senior citizens (over-65) living in rental property in NISD
- Retired District employees
In order for the Northside Gold Card to be valid, the cardholder must print his/her name on the back of the card. Additional identification may be requested. For more information about the Northside Gold Card, call the NISD Partnerships Office at 210-397-8599. Please note: Books and supply fees are not included in any discounts.