- Possess a valid Teacher’s Certificate, or, have completed at least 90 semester hours from an accredited college* or university* with a minimum of 2.5 GPA.
* Proof of U.S. equivalency must be provided. Foreign transcripts must be transcribed. Translation will not suffice.
- Ability to speak read and write English well enough to carry out the duties of a Substitute Teacher.
- Must have satisfactory outcome of fingerprinting check prior to receiving the link to the online orientation and prior to starting employment. Non-refundable fee paid by employee.
|90+ Sem. Hrs.||$80||$51|
* Additional salary supplement provided for working in certain special education classes. This requires additional training. Training will be provided free of cost to the substitute.
Requirements and Procedures
- Complete the On-line Substitute Teacher application.
Only fully-completed applications will be considered—a resume does not take the place of the application.
- Please schedule a telephone interview with the Sub Office via Signup Genius. Refer to the automated email response you received upon submission of your online application.
We will only process applications by appointment.
- We will need an Official College Transcript (Printed or via eScript) from an accredited college or university or a Copy of a Valid Teacher Certificate (if certified) before you are submitted for background check. If you hold a current Texas Teaching Certificate, we will need to verify it through TEA (Texas Education Agency).
- If you have never been fingerprinted in Texas to work for a Public School District, you will need to schedule your own fingerprinting appointment through TEA. (Non-Refundable fee paid by employee.) You will receive an email from TEA with your “fast pass” to schedule your own appointment for fingerprints. This will take place AFTER your phone interview. You must be fingerprinted and have a satisfactory outcome of fingerprinting check prior to receiving the email with the link to the Online Orientation. Fingerprints must be done through TEA, no others will be accepted. Failure to complete the online orientation & print/complete the orientation forms will delay your start date.
You must bring a copy of the fingerprint receipt when you come to your in-person appointment before you are able to pick up your badge.
- We will need you to bring the following documents completed when you come back to pick up your substitute badge:
- I-9 form
NISD participates in E-Verify, a program managed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and The Social Security Administration (SSA). Federal Law requires us to attest to your Identity and your eligibility to work in the U.S. Please bring original or certified documents from the List of Acceptable Documents (listed on back of I-9 form). You must bring either a document from either List A or a combination of documents from List B and List C, e.g. Driver’s License and Social Security Card. In addition to presenting the actual documents to us, you must provide a copy of the documents for your employee file.
- W-4 Form
Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
- TRS Form
Social Security/Retirement Benefits Reporting Form
- Direct Deposit form
Please attach either a voided check or a Bank Direct Deposit Form (No deposit slips!)
- I-9 form
- You will need to bring the Orientation Certificate and the additional seven forms from the Online Orientation to your in-person appointment. Please bring a blue or black pen to sign other forms.
- Your picture will be taken when you come to the HR Office. The HR Representative will set up that appointment. Come dressed business casual.
No T-Shirts, No Tank Tops, No Facial Piercings, No Unconventional colored, multicolored, or spiked, or Mohawk hairstyles permitted.
- New requirement: You must work a minimum of 2 days per month in order to stay active.
Please make your own copies of documents required. We will not be able to make copies for you. You must make your own copies to turn in at your in-person HR appointment.