Take a Tour of Kindergarten
Although how a five year-old grows and develops hasn't changed, what they have to learn sure has! Watch how well our teachers work with their students to be sure they are ready for first grade. A day in kindergarten is filled with developing concepts and skills in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. They also go to “specials” in order to develop concepts and skills in the areas of technology, physical education and music.
Visit your child's campus webpage to view information on upcoming activities for Kinder Roundup slated for Jan. 19-29
Find out which school your child should attend by using the NISD School Boundaries Information System, at the boundaries and buses website.
In order to be eligible for the kindergarten program, state law (Texas Education Code §29.152) requires that children must be 5 years old on or before September 1st.
- Birth certificate
original copy (photocopies will not be accepted)
- Immunization record
- Proof of residence
current electric bill, telephone bill, apartment lease, "closing papers" from a home purchase (mobile phone bills will not be accepted)*
- Social security card (optional)
of child being registered
*In the event that a family is living with another family or for some other reason cannot meet district requirements for proof of residency, the family may enroll the child by completing a notarized AFFIDAVIT OF RESIDENCE. An AFFIDAVIT OF RESIDENCE requires both the parent/guardian of the child and the resident to appear before the school principal (or designee), present photo ID’s, a copy of the resident’s proof of residency as evidenced by a current utility bill (current or prior month).
- Language Arts and Reading
- Social Studies
- Special Classes: computer, art, music and PE
- In order to be promoted into first grade, kindergarten students must be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in math.
- Read and comprehend previously unseen text at the ending kindergarten level.
- Demonstrate proficiency on most of the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) by the end of kindergarten, or be expected to do so early in first grade.
- Mathematics: Pearson enVision Math
- Language Arts: Texas Journeys
- Science: Pearson Science Interactive
- Social Studies: NISD Science/Social Studies Curriculum