Healthy Habits - A 6th Grade Journey
A Journey with a mission!
The mission of Healthy Habits is to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to practice healthy behaviors as well as to educate students how to recognize the influence of responsible decision-making on the quality of life.
- Required 9 week course for all 6th grade students
- Emphasis on Social & Emotional Learning
Healthy Habits: Topics
- Laying the Foundation - introduction to the course, expectations
- Life Skills - setting goals
- Social Health - relationships, refusal skills
- Personal Hygiene - taking care of your body
- Social Media - finding a balance in life
- Mental Health Awareness - what is mental health, how to deal with stress, anxiety and depression in a healthy way
- Substance Abuse - alcohol, legal/illegal drugs, refusal skills
- E-cigarettes - CATCH My Breath Youth Vaping Prevention Program
Healthy Habits: A SEL Foundation
Defined by CASEL (www.casel.org)
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
5 Key Competencies: Self-Awareness, Social Awareness, Self-Management, Relationship Skills, Responsible Decision-Making