Health Education is a critical component of the overall education of all students in Northside ISD. In Northside ISD, Health Education is part of the Whole Child Development Department focused on fulfilling the mission that every day, in every classroom, every student grows in confidence, curiosity and capability.
Northside ISD offers a quality health education program that provides learning opportunities that are meaningful, motivational and challenging.
Topics covered in this course include the following:
- Healthy Living
- Alcohol and Drugs - including e-cigarette prevention
- Healthy Relationships
- Physical Fitness
- Dealing with Conflict, Violence and Abuse
- Diseases and Conditions
- Mental Health
- Sexuality Education
- Parenting and Paternity Awareness
For questions about NISD Health Education, please reach out to your child’s teacher and/or the NISD District contact: Danielle Leon, Health Education IST at email@example.com.
Northside ISD High School Health Education Sexuality Education
- Original information for this Unit derived from NISD’s collaboration with the PTAs.
- In 2005, Holt’s Life Time Health was adopted by NISD, supported by the NISD Health and PE Department.
- In 2015, Sexuality and Responsibility Unit was enhanced and updated by the Health and PE Department.
Policy, TEKS and Guidelines
- This is an Opt-in or Opt-out program meaning a parent/guardian has an option for their child to participate or to not participate in the Sexuality Education Unit.
- Curriculum is abstinence focused – abstinence is primarily promoted as the best option to prevent sexually transmitted diseases and teen pregnancy.
- Condoms and various other contraceptives are introduced (TEK 115.32 7.I), but not brought into the classroom.
- Teachers have been trained and provided with guidelines to appropriately and accurately answer common student generated questions.
- Most questions asked by a student can be answered. Answers are based on medical definitions and medical accuracy.
- Sensitivity needs to be observed when responding.
- Teachers are not to give their opinions, be judgmental, nor self-disclose.
- A Health Educator from San Antonio AIDS Foundation may provide a presentation on HIV/AIDS.
Sexuality Education Unit
This Unit consists of 5 lessons:
- Male and Female Reproductive System
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development
- Teen Pregnancy
- Risks of Adolescent Sexual Activity
- Methods of Protection
Request for More Information
Please contact the Whole Child Department, Health Education Instructional Support Teacher:
- Danielle Leon
- (210) 397-3567