Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Regarding Background Checks
- Below is a list of some of the frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding Northside background checks.
- Northside ISD requires all volunteers and contractors to use the online background check form.
- If you are a student teacher or practicum education student, please go here for more information and to fill out your background check.
- Background checks can take as long as two weeks for processing so please submit your form as soon as possible.
- The Online Background Check uses SSL encryption to protect your personal data.
- The Online Background Check requires you to submit your social security number. We can conduct a more accurate background check if we have the social security number. If you do not want to give out your social security number or do not have a social security number, please contact your school and they will guide you.
Want to know if you are cleared to volunteer? Please contact your campus. Every principal’s secretary and campus administrators have access to the cleared list.
If your question is not listed here, please contact your campus for assistance or call Partnerships at (210) 397-8599.
1. Who is required to have a Background Check?
In addition to all employees, background checks are required of volunteers, contract service providers, adult & community education instructors, and PTA volunteers. Generally, anyone who will spend time on a Northside campus interacting with students is required to have a background
2. What exactly is being checked?
The Background Check is a criminal history check, which when you complete the form you authorize Northside to conduct. We use your information and run it against government databases to check for misdemeanor and/or felony violations.
3. How long does the process take?
Background checks can take up to two weeks to process, so please submit your form as soon as possible.
4. How frequently must I have a background check?
Background checks must be renewed annually. Background checks forms can be filled out as early as July 1 for the next school year.
5. I don't know what campus to put on the form, what do I do?
If you aren't sure what campus to put on the form, please put “Any Northside Elementary, Middle, or High School.
6. What if I want to volunteer at more than one campus?
You can list up to four campus names on your background check form. You will be able to volunteer at more than four campuses, but the notification process will be a little more involved.
7. I'm having trouble filling out the online form, what can I do?
If you are having trouble completing the form, you may want to try a few things:
- If you are using a mobile device (phone or tablet) try using a desktop or lap top computer.
- If you are using an Apple product (iPhone, iPad or Macbook) please consider using non-Apple products if possible.
- Close the form, then re-open and try again. Even though the internet has been around a long time, experience tells us that sometimes things just get a little bit "off", and starting over solves the problem.
- Check your browser version. You should be using Chrome for best results. Updating an old browser version can help solve problems.
- Check the directions carefully, and make sure you are using the correct formats when you type in your information such as phone numbers, social security numbers, and so forth. Also be sure you complete all of the fields with an asterisk (*), those fields are required.
- Finally, if you still need help, please contact the Partnerships office at (210) 397-8599.
8. What happens if I don't pass the Background Check?
If you fail to clear the Background Check, you will not be able to volunteer for some/all duties you applied for. Please call the NISD Partnerships Office at (210) 397-8599.