Northside ISD is partnered with the Alamo Colleges Dual Credit Program which allows eligible high school students to earn college credit for certain high school courses in which they are currently enrolled while completing their high school requirements. In order for students to participate in the program, the high schools must be approved to offer dual credit courses. Dual Credit is different from AP credit.
Benefits of Dual Credit
- Dual Credit increases the likelihood that a student will complete high school and enroll to continue their college education.
- Decreases the cost of tuition and fees for students in completing their academic degrees
- New graduates enter the workforce at an accelerated rate and begin to earn wages, benefiting themselves and making positive contributions to our economy
- Students can earn credit for up to 14 college courses before graduating from high school. (That would be 7 high school courses or 14 college semester courses.)
- Increases a student's self-confidence!
- Access to college campus resources
- Tuition is waived for ISDs - students earn college credit without college tuition fees
NISD offers many Dual Credit opportunities for students to earn college credit.
Northwest Vista College’s Dual Credit Program allows eligible high school students to earn college credit for certain high school courses in which they are currently enrolled while completing their high school requirements.
In order to participate in the Dual Credit Program, students must apply through the GoApplyTexas.org website and also take the TSI and receive the required scores to be enrolled in classes. The deadlines for GoApplyTexas and the TSI exams are given out by the home campus and are aligned with those of Alamo Colleges for all incoming students. Students in dual credit earn both high school and college credits simultaneously.. Students may accrue from three to thirty hours of college credit depending on the courses they take during their high school career.
Dual credit courses taught on NISD campuses are offered in partnership with the colleges listed below and are tuition free.
NORTHWEST VISTA COLLEGE (all academic dual credit courses)
SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (CTE)
ST. PHILIP’S COLLEGE (CTE)
PALO ALTO COLLEGE (CTE)
Students may take the following dual credit courses on their high school campus. These courses vary by individual campuses and may be offered concurrently as Advanced Placement and Dual Credit.
English Language Arts
*U.S. Government and Politics
*AP Calculus AB and BC
*Adv. Quantitative Reasoning
*Advanced Spanish 3 Dual
Career & Technical Education^
*Computer Science 2 AP/DC
*Computer Science 3 H/DC
*Advanced Audio Video Production
*Wildlife Fisheries and Ecology Mgt.
*Advanced Plant and Soil Science
Career & Technical Education^
*Construction Technology I
*Construction Technology II
*Construction Management I
*Construction Management II
*Electrical Technology I
*Electrical Technology II
*Plumbing Technology I
*Plumbing Technology II
*Principles of Architecture
*Principles of Construction
^For more information on the CTE Dual Credit classes and Alamo Academies, please see the NISD Career & Technical Education Website