Notice of Intent to Apply for Federal Funds and Request for Public Comment
The Northside Independent School District (ISD) is applying for the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief III (ESSER III) Federal grant for funding. These federal funds were appropriated to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for public education purposes under the ARP Act through the ESSER III Fund.
ARP ESER III Overview: The American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021, Public Law 117-2, was enacted on March 11, 2021. The ARP Act provides additional funding for school districts to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Education portion of ARP is known as the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III or ARP ESSER) Fund.
General grant specifics are as follows:
- Grant Timeframe: Grant expires September 30, 2023. If needed, districts can carry over unused funds and be allowed to continue spending until September 30, 2024.
- Districts will be required to follow all federal, state, and local regulations and requirements for federal grant administration and fiscal spending of funds.
- The Northside ISD has been allocated $172,955,286 (estimate) - to be expended over a 3-year period.
ARP ESSER III Purpose: The purpose of the ARP ESSER III fund is to address learning loss and support the safe reopening and sustaining safe operations of schools while meeting students' academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. These funds address the impact that COVID-19 has had, and continues to have, on elementary and secondary schools. ARP ESSER III grant funds were issued for one-time or short-term types of expenditures to address the identified needs caused by the pandemic. Although long-term uses of the ARP ESSER III funds are also allowable, the Northside ISD makes no assumptions that the state will provide replacement funds for ARP ESSER III in future years.
Northside ISD Tentative Plan For ARP ESSER III Funding:
- Provide student academic support
- COVID Slide assessment tool
- Student social and emotional support
- Investment in student engagement tools
- Professional Development
- COVID-19 safety measures
- Cleaning supplies
- Air Vent Repair or Replacements
Public Notification and Comments: Your input and comments are requested to help Northside ISD determine how to prioritize spending of the ARP ESSER III funds. Access the survey online in English Here and in Spanish Here. The survey opened on May 26, 2021. The survey close date has been extended from June 4, 2021 to Monday, June 14, 2021. Northside ISD’s final plan will reflect student and staff needs and incorporate public input and comments.
Dr. Janis Jordan
Deputy Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction