students surrounding yellow sandbox.


Christian Evers
Evers School, the first in the Leon Valley area, was established in 1894 through the combined efforts of Sylvester Steubing, Fritz Borman, Henry Reininger, George Reininger, and Christian Evers, Sr. The school was built on two acres of land donated by the Evers family at the corner of Evers and Huebner roads.

Evers School was constructed from 1 by 10-inch rough boards. The building was approximately 30 by 24 feet and was equipped with double folding desks, table, chalkboard, and a cast iron stove. It had lean-to sheds on two sides and a front porch which served as a stage for programs or plays. Later, metal siding was put over the boards and it became known as the Old Tin School.

Enrollment seldom exceeded 25 students in the years from 1894 through 1900. There were no compulsory education laws but most of the children began school at about age 7. Younger children were allowed to attend if they were accompanied by an older sibling. Children walked, rode donkeys, or rode in wagons with parents to school. Two students carried water in a pail from a hand dug well east of where Marshall High School is today. Playground equipment consisted of tree limbs, baseballs made out of socks, and piles of rocks for bases.

In 1924 the Leon Valley Common School District No. 5 1/2 came into existence. Evers School, the Old Tin School, was relocated by tractor and moved to the corner of Bandera and Grissom Roads. It was used as a teacherage through until the early 1950s when it was demolished to provide space for the construction of new classrooms and an office.

The current Christian Evers Elementary was built in 1992 and was dedicated by Mr. Jack C. Jordan, Superintendent of Schools, and Dr. Robert James, President of the Northside Board of Trustees. Mrs. Susan Evers, the great granddaughter of Mr. Christian Evers, Sr. spoke at the dedication on Nov. 15, 1992.
Cafeteria Menus
Health & Vaccination Forms
Buses & Boundaries
District Programs