The mission of the Bernal Middle School Counseling Department is to provide a safe, student-centered learning experience with an emphasis on building positive relationships of mutual respect. We strive to engage and inspire all students to develop positive character qualities and achieve personal and academic success.
Meet Your Bernal Counselors
Our guidance and counseling program is a comprehensive developmental program addressing the whole child to maximize achievement, social and emotional development, and post-secondary college and career readiness.
The Guidance Curriculum component includes skill based lessons designed to help all students develop competence in essential life skills. Guidance lessons are based on student need.
Here are links to some of the guidance lessons that have been provided during distance learning:
The purpose of Responsive Services is to intervene with or on behalf of a child whose personal circumstances, concerns, or problems are threatening and interfere with healthy career, educational, social, and/or personal development. Responsive Services includes both individual and small group counseling.
During distance learning, only individual counseling can be provided at this time. Please fill out the referral form if your student needs assistance.
Individual Planning guides students in planning, monitoring, and managing their own career, educational, social, and personal growth. Individual Planning is achieved by assisting students in setting their own goals, course elective choices, and endorsement selections.
Student Portal gives access to email, Schoology, Google Drive and more. Login with your sNumber and 4x4 Password.
Students can check their grades and attendance through HAC. Login with your sNumber and 4x4 Password.
Need Technical Support? Visit the Northside Virtual Hub or call the Student Helpline at 210-397-0020
The System Support component describes the management of activities which assures the delivery of a high quality guidance program. This component indirectly services our students. System Support includes; research development, outreach, and professional development.
April is the Month of the Military Child. Here is a video of Bernal Staff wearing purple for our Military Kids:
FOUR COUNSELING SKILL GOALS
1. Intrapersonal Relationships
- Developing a positive self-concept
- Changing a particular behavior
- Developing ways to manage the demands of school, social activities and family
- Making positive decisions and taking responsibility for actions.
2. Interpersonal Relationships
- Evaluating how prejudice can be harmful
- Respecting and Appreciating differences
- Learn how to effectively communicate with others
- Navigating relationships with friends, dating partners, family members, teachers and employers
3. Post-Secondary Planning and Career Readiness
- Motivation to achieve in school
- Understanding how grades can affect post-secondary choices
- Selecting a career or college path
- setting post-graduation goals
4. Personal Health and Safety
- Identifying resilience and positive coping skills
- Identifying assertiveness skills for personal protection
- Learning how to set personal boundaries
- Creating a personal wellness plan