In Northside, we embrace diversity and provide a high-quality learning experience for all. We build upon the linguistic, academic, and affective experiences of students and families to promote academic excellence and honor multiculturalism. Our goal is to provide learning experiences that inspire students' confidence, curiosity, and capability.
Dual Language Immersion Two-way Bilingual Program
The NISD Dual Language Immersion Two-way Bilingual Program model is research-based. The Dual Language model seeks to create bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural students by developing their academic and language proficiency in both English and Spanish. Our goal is to achieve academic excellence and honor multiculturalism through meaningful learning experiences that inspire students' confidence, curiosity, and capability.
Transitional Bilingual Academic Program
The NISD Transitional Bilingual Academic Program model teaches the state required Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). The research-based program uses the child’s primary language for instruction as he or she acquires the second language (English) and achieves academic success. Our goal is to achieve academic excellence and honor multiculturalism through meaningful learning experiences that inspire students' confidence, curiosity, and capability.
Dual Language at Glenn ES
Dual language immersion (DLI)
The dual language immersion two-way bilingual program model in Northside is research-based. The dual language model seeks to create bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural students by developing their academic proficiency in English and Spanish. This program serves K-8 English learners and Non-English learners at 20 elementary schools and two middle schools. ELs who are reclassified may continue participating in the dual language program. TAC 89.1210 (d)(3).
Classroom Structures / Models
For the 2020-2021 school year, we will begin the Dual Language program in Kindergarten and 1st grade and add a grade level each ensuing year. Grades 6th – 8th, DLI programs are available at selected middle schools (Stinson & Sul Ross Middle Schools).
Dual Language classroom composition whenever possible:
50% English learners (EL); 50% native English speakers (Non-EL)
Dual language grade levels
Kinder & 1st
Adams Hill, Fisher, Michael & Valley Hi
Expectations for Parents
- Support your children’s linguistic, academic, and sociocultural development
- Commit to completing the elementary program
- Participate in a minimum of three meetings per year regarding the DLI program or academic achievement
- Promote, advocate, and support the DLI program.
- Commit to participation in the program for a minimum of 5-6 years
- Encourage use of the second language at home and in the community
Expectations for Students
- Participate in the DLI program in the elementary grades
- Participate in dual language activities during and after school, as available
- Use the second language at home and in the community
- Value multiculturalism
- Maintain high levels of learning, conduct, and attendance
For more information check out NISD Elementary Bilingual Dual