Health Education is a critical component of the overall education of all students in Northside ISD. In Northside ISD, Health Education is part of the Whole Child Development Department focused on fulfilling the mission that every day, in every classroom, every student grows in confidence, curiosity and capability.
Northside ISD offers a quality health education program that provides learning opportunities that are meaningful, motivational and challenging.
Topics covered in this course include the following:
- Healthy Living
- Alcohol and Drugs - including e-cigarette prevention
- Healthy Relationships
- Physical Fitness
- Dealing with Conflict, Violence and Abuse
- Diseases and Conditions
- Mental Health
- Sexuality Education
- Parenting and Paternity Awareness
For questions about NISD Health Education, please reach out to your child’s teacher and/or the NISD District contact: Caitlin Bollier, Health Education Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northside ISD High School Health Education Human Sexuality Instruction
- In 2005, Holt’s Life Time Health was adopted by NISD, supported by the NISD Health and PE Department.
- In 2015, the Human Sexuality Education Unit was enhanced and updated by the Health and PE Department.
Guidelines and TEKS
- This is an Opt-in or Opt-out program meaning a parent/guardian has an option for their child to participate or to not participate in the Human Sexuality Education Unit.
TEKS 115.32(b)(8): the student is expected to:
- (B) analyze the importance and benefits of abstinence as it relates to emotional health and the prevention of pregnancy and sexually-transmitted diseases;
- (C) analyze the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of barrier protection and other contraceptive methods, including the prevention of STDs, keeping in mind the effectiveness of remaining abstinent until marriage;
- (E) analyze the importance of abstinence from sexual activity as the preferred choice of behavior in relationship to all sexual activity for unmarried persons of school age; and
- (F) discuss abstinence from sexual activity as the only method that is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy, STDs, and the sexual transmission of HIV or acquired immune deficiency syndrome and the emotional trauma associated with adolescent sexual activity.
- A Health Educator from San Antonio AIDS Foundation may provide a presentation on HIV/AIDS.
Human Sexuality Education Unit
This Unit consists of 5 lessons:
- Male and Female Reproductive System
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development
- Teen Pregnancy
- Risks of Adolescent Sexual Activity
- Methods of Protection
Request for More Information
Please contact the Whole Child Department, Health Education Specialist at email@example.com.