A Village of World Shapers & Ground Breakers
What we strive for our Husky students:
- Acceptance to the four year institution of their choice
- Determine the financial means to pay for college
- Help develop the confidence to excel not just in college but in life.
We believe that every student deserves the opportunities to pursue higher education and have a plan.
We know it is our responsibility to prepare our fellow Huskies for these challenges.
Advancement via Individual Determination (AVID) is an in-school academic support program from grades 4-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success. AVID is an inclusive program that targets students in the academic middle who have the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard. These are students who are capable of completing rigorous curriculum but who are presently falling short of their potential.
Who is an AVID Student?
AVID students are students in the academic middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. These students often are not realizing their full potential academically. In the identification process a number of criteria are considered, including:
- State Test Scores
- Economically Disadvantaged
- Desire and Determination
- Other Special Circumstance
- Historically underrepresented in 4-year Colleges
- First in Family to Attend College
While all of the criteria are considered for acceptance into the program, no single criteria will necessarily eliminate a student from consideration. The AVID program should reflect the demographics of the school it is serving. No students are excluded from applying, the AVID village is built on diversity and inclusion in preparing students for a post-secondary adventure.
Once Selected for AVID, What are the Student Requirements?
AVID students must:
- attend an AVID elective class
- enroll in one or more advanced academic class (Pre-AP or AP at the High School level and honors classes at the Middle Level) each semester
- maintain the AVID binder and planner with assignment/grade record sheets and daily notes in all classes
- commit to excellence, from where they are onward through their senior year.