October - November
- Students will work in pairs to design arcade-type games
- Students will think through game design, strategies for success, rules, and prize systems
- Students will run their games at their school carnival or at a family event, such as science night
- Students will spend approximately 2 weeks learning about, designing, and testing each type of flying object
- Students will learn about kites, parachutes, paper airplanes, and rockets.
Wednesdays Jan- May
Fall & Spring Semesters
News Team is open to 5th grade students. We will have auditions in May for the next year's team. Members of the news team meet in the mornings to prepare and practice the day's morning broadcast. If you are interested in joining news team, keep an eye out for informational flyers that will come out mid May.
Every other Wednesday Fall & Spring Semester
Guided by two or more adult coaches, Ward LEGO League team is made up of 10 members, grades 4-5, research a real-world problem such as food safety, recycling, energy, etc., and are challenged to develop a solution. They also must design, build, program a robot using LEGO MINDSTORMS®, then compete on a table-top playing field.
4th & 5th Grades
- In groups of 3, students design a solar-powered car to race that fits set parameters
- Sponsor training will be held in December each year
- Sponsors teach 8 lessons weekly that lead up to the Race Day event
- Race Day —a district-wide event held at Gustafson Stadium on a Saturday in late April
- Runs 8-10 weeks, based on campus need
- Engineer design program where students create Rube Goldberg machines
- Each machine has a goal and parameters (i.e. pop a balloon in 5 steps)
- Students use a combination of simple machines: pulley, wheel and axle, lever, inclined plane
Optional: recording and editing of working Rube Goldberg machines
Second Wednesdays of the month
The purpose of Student Council is to develop leadership skills and provide an opportunity for students in 3rd-5th to serve their school community. Requirements include all grades 80 or above, excellent behavior and attitude, excellence attendance, lives out the Lasso for Success campus motto, and a willingness to develop leadership and speaking skills.
Wednesday and Friday mornings Sept-Dec/Fall Semester
Choir is open to 4th and 5th grade students. We sing together and perform 2 concerts each year at school as well as other performances in the fall. Choir begins in September and runs through December. If you are interested in choir, at the beginning of the year, keep an eye out for the permission slip to join!
Tuesday and Thursday morning
Strings is open to 5th grade students. Students can choose to learn the violin. We meet before from September through May. We have two concerts at school during the year. Strings is a great program if you are interested in continuing on to orchestra in middle school, and even if you're not!
Every Wednesday for 8 Weeks in the Fall Semester
4th & 5th Grades
- Space-science related curriculum as an after-school program
- focus changes yearly
- training will be held in late September each year
- 8 lessons—these can be done weekly, monthly, etc. The schedule is decided by the campus.
- Stargazing Night—a district-wide event held at Ward ES the last Friday night in February for fifth grade Young Astronauts
Every other Thursday Fall & Spring Semester