With eleven magnet schools in Northside ISD, there are more opportunities than ever before for students to choose their future.
The District now offers eight magnet high schools and three magnet middle schools. Applications open Nov. 28 for the 2023-24 school year.
All magnet schools are planning Open Houses and the District will host two Magnet Fairs in December for families at the Northside Sports Gym and Paul Taylor Field House/Northside Activity Center.
One new middle school magnet school will open in the 2022-23 school year, Hobby Middle School Magnet Program which will prepare the next generation of health science leaders.
Applications are available in English and Spanish and will be accepted through Jan. 16, 2023. Students can apply to more than one magnet school using the common application. Access the application or learn more about each magnet school at the Magnet Hub website.
- Application Available – Nov. 28, 2022
- Application Due – Jan. 16, 2023
- Acceptance Letters Mailed – Jan. 27, 2023
- Commitment Forms Due – Feb. 6, 2023
- Magnet Fair #1 – Northside Sports Gym – Monday, Dec. 5, 6:30 to 8 p.m.
- Magnet Fair #2 – Paul Taylor Field House and Northside Activity Center– Monday, Dec. 12, 6:30 to 8 p.m.
High Schools (6:30 p.m. start time)
- Agriculture Science and Technology Academy – Nov. 30, Jan. 3
- CAST Teach – Nov 30, Dec.10, Jan 4, and Jan. 11
- Communications Arts HS – Dec. 7, Jan. 5
- Construction Careers Academy – Dec. 7, Jan. 4
- Health Careers HS – Dec. 1, Jan. 3, and Jan. 7
- Jay Science and Engineering Academy – Dec. 13, Jan. 10
- Marshall Law and Medical Services – Dec. 8, Dec. 14, and Jan. 9
- Northside School of Innovation, Technology, and Entrepreneurship – Dec. 3, Dec. 14, and Jan. 5
Middle School (5:30 p.m. start time)
- Hobby Magnet School – Dec. 8, Jan. 4, and Jan. 10
- Jones Magnet School – Dec. 6, Jan. 5, and Jan. 11
- Zachry Magnet School – Dec. 7, Jan. 3, and Jan. 12
Middle School Magnet Programs
Each magnet program offers students smaller class sizes, unique and advanced courses, leadership and enrichment experiences, and an early opportunity to earn high school credit.
Our middle school magnet programs operate as a school-within-a-school, which allows students to participate in Fine Arts programs like band, choir and orchestra, athletics, and clubs and organizations on the campuses.
All current fifth graders are eligible to apply. Enrollment is limited at each school and all qualified students will be placed in a lottery. Transportation will be provided for eligible students.
The application includes short response questions and contact information that must be completed. Anyone needing assistance with an application should contact their elementary school counselor.
High School Magnet Programs
Current eighth-grade students can apply to attend one of eight high school magnet programs. They are:
- Agriculture Science and Technology Academy: focuses on the fields of Agribusiness, Animal and Plant Sciences, Agricultural Engineering, Environmental and Natural Resources, and Veterinary Medicine.
- CAST Teach: opening in August 2022, CAST Teach presents a unique opportunity to develop and empower its students, so that they in turn, as future educators, have a bigger impact on generations to come. CAST Teach will not only ensure students have a strong foundation in educational practices, it will also provide experiences in schools side-by-side with mentor educators, coaches, counselors, and librarians.
- Communications Arts High School: promotes rigorous, foundational learning in a personal, supportive environment. Students develop skills in communication and technology, emphasizing collaborative choices and fluidity between disciplines, creating global citizens and leaders. Strands of study include Audio/Video Digital Communications; Animation Design & Multimedia; and Advanced Broadcast Journalism.
- Construction Careers Academy: focuses on the areas of construction technology, construction management, architectural design, applied engineering, and real-world experience that will prepare students for studies in higher education and/or a career in a construction-related industry.
- Health Careers High School: focuses on providing students a rigorous and comprehensive academic program by exploring health professions and real-world applications of medical knowledge and skills.
- Jay Science and Engineering Academy: provides students with an advanced and rigorous curriculum in all core subjects with a focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
- Marshall Law and Medical Services Magnet School: focuses on the areas of criminal justice, court systems, behavioral health, EMT, fire science, legal governance, public administration pre-nursing, and physical therapy.
- Northside School of Innovation, Technology, and Entrepreneurship (NSITE): prepares students in the areas of entrepreneurship, cybersecurity, computer programming, industry-standard certifications, mentor programs, and software development.
All high school magnet schools (with the exception of Health Careers High School) operate as a school-within-a-school, which allows students to participate in Fine Arts programs like band, choir and orchestra, as well as sports, clubs, and organizations on the comprehensive high school campus.
All Northside eighth graders are eligible for enrollment. Applications are also being accepted for students outside Northside ISD. Please check with individual programs for application and age requirements. Enrollment is limited at each school. Transportation will be provided for eligible students.
Anyone needing assistance with an application should contact their middle school counselor.